Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Public speaking can sometimes be scary. First you freeze, second your mind starts to go blank, third you think about running and suddenly, your mouth starts to move and everything starts to fall into place. After speaking with the kids at the African Community Education Program in worcester, I learned that as a motivational speaker one thing you have to be good at is gaining your audience attention. As I stood infront of those kids my first thought was to run out of the room because part of me felt like why should they listen to me anyways, after all their parents always tell them to go to college. Yet again a part of me felt like even though their parents tell them to go to college they still need to hear it from someone else, someone who grew up like them, someone who understands the pressure from family and your surrounding, someone like me. If you are out there and you are from the inner cities please be a role model to the kids and help them stay in school and consider higher education let them know that the resources are available they just have to work hard and not be afraid to ask for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment